All I want for Christmas is a Number One hit that gets played continuously for one month every year.
Hugh Grant's character lived off the substantial royalties from a Christmas song his father composed in the movie "About a Boy". However, figures just released and published by the Daily Mail prove that fact is indeed stranger than fiction.
Below are the annual earnings from some very famous Christmas songs:
- Slade - Merry Chirstmas Everybody: £500,000
- The Pogues - Fairytale of New York: £400,000
- Maria Carey - All I want for Christmas is you: £376,000
- Bing Crosby - White Christmas: £328,000
- Wham! - Last Christmas: £300,000
- Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmastime: £260,000
- Cliff Richard - Mistletoe & Wine: £100,000
- Jona Lewie - Stop the Cavalry: £120,000
- The Pretenders - 2000 Miles: £102,000
Now, time to get the guitar out.