The Dublin Fire Brigade has warned people about the serious risks associated with using cheap chargers.
Consumers have long been advised not to charge devices overnight but a lot of people still plug-in their phone or tablet and leave on the bedside table so they will be fully charged in the morning.
Now, Dublin Fire Brigade have warned about doing the same but especially if using a non-brand cable.
They shared a photo on their Twitter feed showing how one resident had a lucky escape by noticing their melting charger before a fire started.
The advice is simple; only use chargers from recognised brands, never charge devices overnight and keep all chargers away from pillows and duvets.
The user of this spurious charger had a lucky escape. Found the cable in this state after charging a phone over night. Only genuine cables. pic.twitter.com/8xWeyf089e— Dublin Fire Brigade (@DubFireBrigade) May 15, 2017
We received this last night after our recent messages about charging cables..best advice? Keep all chargers away from pillows, duvets etc https://t.co/HyoDX5F2C8— Dublin Fire Brigade (@DubFireBrigade) May 17, 2017