A five year old boy, Reilly Duffy, who became trapped in a tumble dryer at his home in Bangor, Co. Down, was rescued thanks to the family dog.
Teddy, a cockerpoo, raised the alarm yesterday after Reilly climbed inside a tumble dryer and closed the door. The machine started automatically.
When the dog saw what had happened she ran upstairs to where Reilly’s mother Gillian Gedge-Duffy was hoovering and started barking loudy.
She rushed downstairs and freed the boy who was then taken to the Ulster Hospital in Co Down with burns to his back, arms and head.
The family told BBC that Reilly was recovering well.
"Riley was born with Down's syndrome, so he's not aware of any danger," he said.
"It's just the way Riley is, he tends to take himself off and find a wee corner if he wants to get away from it all. Yesterday, he decided the tumble dryer was where he wanted to go."
"Only for our dog going nuts and notifying my wife by running up and down barking, my wife knew that there was something up and went down," Mr Duffy said.
"She literally just pulled him out, it didn't matter if it was head first, feet first, legs whatever, he was coming out. So we got him out and literally cooled him down.
"Teddy's going to get fillet steak tonight, I can guarantee that, she's a very smart dog."
Pet dog hailed hero after alerting Co Down family their five year old son was trapped in a tumble dryer. pic.twitter.com/JRBmkK44Di— RTÉ News (@rtenews) November 14, 2016