A woman who was stung by a jellyfish this afternoon had to be evacuated off Sherkin Island after suffering a severe anaphylactic reaction.
Baltimore Lifeboat reported on their Facebook page that they were launched on a MEDEVAC from Sherkin Island.
The lifeboat picked up the woman off the island and brought her back to Baltimore Lifeboat station where the HSE ambulance crew were waiting to transport her to hospital.
Her condition is not known at this time.
People have been advised that Lions Mane Jellyfish have been seen in the water at numerous locations along the Irish coast with some beaches advising people not to swim or even enter the water.
The Irish Water Safety Authority published First Aid for the treatment of jellyfish stings:
- Ensure you don't get stung yourself when aiding others
- Remove any attached tentacles with a gloved hand, stick, or towel (none of these available use the tips of your fingers)
- Do not rub the affected area (this may result in further venom release)
- Rinse the affected area with sea-water (do not use fresh water, vinegar, alcohol or urine)
- Apply a ‘dry cold pack’ to the area (i.e. place a cold pack or ice inside a plastic bag and then wrap this package in a t-shirt or other piece of cloth)
- Seek medical attention if there is anything other than minor discomfort
- If the patient is suffering from swelling, breathing difficulties, palpitation or chest tightness then transfer to the nearest emergency department urgently