A survey released in the UK shows that some parents are putting their kids, some as young as five, in danger by leaving them alone at night.
- Read Next: Mother criticised after leaving 5 year old home alone
- Read Next: Find fun family things to do with kids
Research by Churchill Home Insurance published in the Mirror found that:
- 1 in 10 have left a five to seven year old alone during the evening
- 1 in 5 have left an eight to nine-year-old alone during§ the evening
- 1 in 10 have been away overnight with no supervision for ten and 11-year-olds
- 75% of parents confessed they would leave children home alone if there was no alternative when they had to go out
Martin Scott, head of Churchill home insurance said: “We urge parents to follow the advice from the NSPCC which is not to leave children alone, as those under 12 in particular, are rarely able to look after themselves.
Although there is no law in the UK or Ireland, children's agencies would like it to be illegal to leave any child under 16 unsupervised.