EPIC The Irish Emigration Museum
EPIC The Irish Emigration Museum is a state-of-the-art interactive experience located in the beautiful vaults of the 1820 Custom House Quarter building in Dublin’s Docklands, the original departure point for so many of Ireland’s emigrants. It will inspire and guide you on a journey to discover the stories of Irish emigration around the world, from early times to the modern day.
Over the centuries, some 10 million people have left the island of Ireland. At EPIC you can step through 20 themed galleries to find out why people left, see how they influenced the world they found, and experience the connection between their descendants and Ireland today. Immerse yourself in the stories of some of the most remarkable tales of sacrifice, endurance, adventure, and discovery the world has ever known. EPIC brings these amazing stories to life in a unique and spectacular way.
The story will be told using innovative techniques and cutting-edge interactive technologies in combination with more traditional photographic, film, sound recordings and historic objects.
Discover how Irish people have contributed and influenced world culture including Billy the Kid, Charles De Gaulle and Grace Kelly.
The Irish Family History Centre
EPIC is also offering a state-of-the-art genealogy centre which is operated by Eneclann, Ireland’s leading genealogical services provider, in conjunction with international partners.
In addition to extensive, easy-to-use research facilities, the genealogy centre also offers the latest DNA testing that will enable visitors to learn about their Irish roots.
The Irish Family History Centre allows visitors to:
- Sit with a genealogy expert for a 15-minute consultation
- Use interactive display screens to engage and uncover more about your Irish roots
- Observe Ireland’s Emigration and Migration
- Play our fun quiz to test your knowledge on Ireland
- Take a seat at one of our workstations where you can sign up to the Irish Family History Centre website and join our online community
- Access records on FindMyPast.ie where you will be able to search through the largest number of Irish family history records such as: Birth, Marriage and Death records; Census records; Parish records; travel and migration records
All visitors to the Irish Family History Centre will receive a complimentary pack when they leave, which will include:
- Information relating to different websites and places that will help you with your research around Dublin
- 1 month’s FREE world subscription to FindMyPast.ie
- 1 month’s FREE subscription to IrishFamilyHistoryCentre.com
You can also enjoy shopping in the retail area where you will find:
- Books on surnames and other genealogy related topics
- Family Tree DNA Kits
- A Selection of souvenirs for you to treasure
After visiting The Irish Family History Centre, we hope you will have learnt something new about your Irish Ancestors and did so in a new and engaging way.
The Irish Family History Centre is open 7 days a week from 09:00 – 17:00.
- Single Ticket – €9.50 (Entrance into the Irish Family History Centre only)
- Combination Ticket – €22 (Includes entry to EPIC and the Irish Family History Centre)